Potter Minton attorneys recognize the unique nature of local government representation. When we represent public sector clients, we are mindful of our role as an extension of the elected and appointed leadership, and the different needs those clients present.
Similarly, private clients who interact with governmental entities face challenges that differ from those typically faced. We aim to use our experience advising governmental entities to fashion mutually advantageous outcomes.
We are sensitive to the fact that public sector entities operate under close public and media scrutiny. Our clients trust our advice and counsel because they respect our integrity and discretion, and know that our interactions with all parties will always reflect positively on their behalf.
Because of our size and wide variety of experience, Potter Minton attorneys have practical knowledge in virtually every legal issue that could be faced by a local government entity, or by a private entity or individual in their encounter with government. Areas of competence and past legal matters include:
- Drafting ordinances
- Public Contracting
- Franchise Negotiations and Documentation
- Building Code Compliance
- Annexation Issues
- Advocacy before Councils, Commissions, and Boards
- Land Use Matters, Zoning, and Litigation
- Environmental Compliance
- Texas Administrative Procedures
- Advising Councils and Boards of Directors
- Municipal Court Prosecution
- Open Meetings and Open Records
- Preparing and Updating Personnel Policies
- Municipal Charters
- Defense of Labor/Employment Claims Before Administrative Agencies
- Government Tort Claims Practice
- Compliance with Lobbying Rules and Regulations
- Special District Laws
When our clients are faced with litigation, it is handled by a defense team with extensive experience in governmental liability issues. We advocate alternatives to expensive, protracted litigation and encourage arbitration and mediation in appropriate cases.