Shaun’s practice focuses on complex patent litigation between industry competitors and against non-practicing entities. Shaun has handled a wide-variety of matters involving numerous technologies, including wireless and telecommunications devices and software, semiconductors, computer systems, integrated circuits, data-based systems, speech coding, data compression, network security, and automotive products. He has extensive experience in navigating complex litigation issues and strategies from case inception to trial. Shaun’s experience includes handling matters before District and State Courts throughout Texas, California, and Delaware, in addition to cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Shaun has represented clients ranging from large multinational corporations to individual inventors and business owners, in addition to numerous pro bono clients consisting of individuals and start-ups.
• Named a Texas Super Lawyer Rising Star – 2017-2022.
• Obtained stipulation of non-infringement in favor of defendant for one of the world’s largest computer and electronics manufacturers.
• Obtained defendant’s jury verdict and favorable appeal outcome for one of the world’s largest electronic providers in a patent case filed in the Eastern District of Texas and appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
• Successfully resolved, through favorable settlements, infringement claims against one of the premier telecommunications handset providers.
• Obtained full dismissals with prejudice and summary judgment of non-infringement for one of the world’s foremost telecommunication service providers.
J.D., University of Dayton School of Law, magna cum laude, 2009
B.S., The University of Texas at Arlington, 2005
Achievements and Activities:
– Staff Writer and Publications Editor, University of Dayton Law Review, 2007-2009
– Recipient of the Dean Richard L. Braun Editor in Chief Award, 2009
– Member of the Society of Automotive Engineers formula racing team
Licensed & Admitted to Practice
- State Courts in the State of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Affiliations and Activities
Smith County Bar Association
Barbara M.G. Lynn Inn of Court
Habitat for Humanity
Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program
Paws for Reflection Ranch
Bar None Show
Misfits Hockey Club
Dallas LegalLine Clinic
State Bar of Texas
Dallas Bar Association
Eastern District of Texas Bar Association
Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
Born in Buffalo, New York, Shaun moved to Texas with his family in 1992, and aside from brief stints living in Ohio and North Carolina for work and school, has made it his home ever since. Shaun is an avid sports fan and outdoor enthusiast, and met his significant other, Chelsea Owen, playing ice hockey. When he is not working, playing sports, or spending time with his dog Howdy, you will most likely find Shaun in the kitchen, by the grill, or carefully tending to his BBQ smoker.